I am not a big New Year’s Resolution person but like most runners I do like to set goals. Each year I make a list of some things I would like to accomplish that year. I have a list in my head of things I would like to do in my lifetime but I don’t really write that one down. I like to take it one year at a time and try to write down only what I think is realistic yet challenging. I am a little late in adding it to the blog but it is something that is very personal to me and I was not sure I wanted to put it all out there yet.
- Run a total of 800 miles in 2013. I based this number off of the average that I was running toward the end of 2012 and without ever having totaled the number of miles I have run in a year before. I have kept a training log but only sporadically in the past.
- Keep a detailed training log for the year. This goes along with my total mileage goal. I am trying to keep track of not just the miles that I run but the type of run, any strength training, the shoes I wear, what I eat and anything else that could be useful for improving my health and performance in the future.
- Complete a marathon. This one scares me a little bit. It makes me nervous to even put it out here. I have only mentioned this to my husband and mom. I am actually signed up for one. I am part way through training for it and it has gone well so far. I am nervous because the last time I trained for one I ended up injured and not running for a month. I don’t want to go back there again.
- Devote time each day that is focused on my daughter. This one is important to me. I had been finding myself constantly distracted and not fully focusing my attention on LO. I am fine with her playing by herself while I get some things done but one of the reasons I am mostly a stay at home mom is so that I can be with her. I want to make sure we are communicating and interacting with no distractions each day.
- Complete one fun activity with my daughter each week. I am not sure I am going to be very good at this one. I am thinking arts and crafts things and that is not one of my strong points. I am starting to work on collecting ideas and any suggestions would be helpful. We have tried play dough, finger painting, and a little bit of coloring. Some of the crafts are a little beyond her skill level yet. In the summer I am hoping to include trips to the zoo and things like that.
- Take LO to play dates with friends once a month. I sometimes worry because we do not do daycare if LO is missing out on social interaction. I want to make an effort to try to get her around other kids her age so that she learns to play and share and interact with kids her age. It is also a good way for me to keep in touch with my friends if we can make our schedules work!
I am stopping there with hopefully a reasonable list. I think there is enough of a challenge there but all of those things are possible for me to achieve. I will try to post some updates throughout the year but I am not sure yet how often that will happen. Does anyone else set yearly goals like this?